Saturday, April 19, 2008

International man of... Underwear?

When you have dreams of travel and work in a foreign land, they include all kinds of wild and crazy things. These may include being a movie star, finding that dream job in your field that pays you big money for little work, or just getting paid to sit on the beach and test new drink mixes. Wonderful grandiose thoughts. Then after a while of actually being there your dreams just turn to - work. I wonder if any one will hire me, how much will they pay, what will I do?

Thats when it happens, that magical phone call... "Yes. Yes. Yup. Uh hun, I can do that. Absolutely. I can start Monday!" YA! I have work. What a heady feeling. To be employed. There really is very little to compare to it. A new car, graduation, going for a walk after an 18 hour plane trip, that moment when you see a fast sports car coming up behind you and gently and safely change lanes as to block all passing. These are but a few things that only happen once in a while, yet make us feel alive. Yup, it's a marvelous feeling. 
 
You might well be able to imagine my joy when I received a phone call from the recruiting agency here in Brisbane (Odyssey), to start work on Thursday. And where you ask is this first job? Ha, its with an underwear company. I know what all the guys are thinking, because I thought the same thing. Underwear? Women's underwear? Maybe there will be underwear models? Maybe I could meet some. Hey, maybe they'll think I cool and ask me to stay on, and then maybe I'll move up the company and become a version of Hugh Hefner. Ya, right. No luck there. 
My first job is with Triumph International. This is not a glamourous job. It is a job though. I have been brought in to transfer a document from one application to another. That's it. Nothing special. To be honest, as nice as the people are there, its very obvious I am the temp. No one talks to me, or says hi when they pass by. I might as well be working from home. If Internet was at least as fast as it is in North America I probably could. In fact I would probably be more productive, as I don't have to take the train every morning. 
 
Well, the short of it is, I am working. It's warm. Life is pretty good.
Even if I am not the International man of underwear. ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This whole post, all I could picture in my head was Will, sitting at a desk in a busy office, diligently working...in a pair of boxer briefs. And white sport socks pulled way up, with a blue stripe at the top.
God, I miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

I have to say Jamie and I wern't thinking "Hugh Hefner" WE thought that maybe you were going to model it yourself!!!

Keep your spirits up

Leisa

Anonymous said...

Love the posts guys, keep it up. It's just kind of embarrassing to be laughing out loud at the office. Glad to hear that things are looking up for you guys again.

And to fill the void, the word verification is "bhmiemvn" which is definitley the noise that Will grunts as he sucks in his gut and flexes his muscles while proudly posing in his fancy new underwear. Some tighty whiteys, I assume.