Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Australian Booze Connection

Now most of my friends from university and Taiwan/Korea years gone by will possibly find it sad to hear that I don't hit the night life like I used to. In fact my father was rather upset the entire month and a half I was home that I didn't feel the urge to drink rum with him nightly. Anyway, since our arrival we've done our best to sample the local beers and wine (oh are there ever a lot)! Australians have got a unique twist on hard alcohol and mix though.

For example, the other day when we ducked into O'Malley's for a pint and fish & chips, Will ordered a rye and ginger ale. The bartender pulled out what looked like a beer bottle, cracked it open and asked, "Is this what you're lookin' for, mate?" To our astonishment the beer bottle was in fact a bottle of Canadian Club rye whiskey, pre-mixed with ginger ale.  How pleasant!  The next evening on our way home from a grocery trip we decided to stop in at the local liquor store. Imagine my surprise and delight when my eyes spotted a can of Malibu rum, pre-mixed with cola! Of course, I just HAD to get some to complete my bowl of noodles that night for supper. Can you imagine if Canada had something similar? No more running to buy bottles of booze and mix.  Just pick up a 6-pack of your favourite blend! I think I'm beginning to like it here!

No comments: