Monday, April 7, 2008

Brisbane!

How can one describe Brisbane? Beautiful! Will and I arrived in Brisbane Saturday evening, after enjoying a lovely morning with Derwood and Lois and then taking a bus from Bega to Canberra and a plane from Canberra to Brisbane. I know this sounds corny but upon our arrival in Brisbane I felt like good things were going to happen for us in Brisbane.  

We spent Sunday doing the Lonely Planet recommended walking tour of Brisbane. I should've known that would never work with Will though. We immediately got hung up at the City Hall building. Lots of great history there. We took a creaky elevator ride up to the clock tower even to view the city and were around for the noon ringing of the bells.
We finished about half of the walking tour before weather (and a sweet little Irish pub called O'Malley's) intervened!   We finally headed home with sore feet but good vibes about the city. Today we did a bit more walking to a neat little district west of our hostel where we found neat little coffee shops, and a discount computer parts store to fill Will's habit! Coincidentally we also found a great guesthouse in the same area where we will move to tomorrow and will stay for the next week. We can stay there comfortably for the same price as about 3 nights in our current hostel. DEAL! Will has a job interview tomorrow and hopefully that will be a good indication that we'll be staying in Brisbane for a while.  I've had no bites from any of my job postings yet, so by tomorrow I'll probably be looking for work at a Starbucks or some equivalent to keep the money flowing.  Wish us luck!
 
We have lots of photos to show you but unfortunately, since my hard drive crashed out on my computer, no way to format them. We'll try to get them up and in blogs as soon as possible. Just wanted to acknowledge also that Dave and Courtney, thanks for being our biggest fans so far and for making the most comments on our blog. We love hearing from you! Hope you are all well out there, I think we're actually, FINALLY, settling in!

5 comments:

jupith said...

Hi Andrea, I am enjoying your blog and look forward to keeping up with your travels. Good luck on the job hunt. Judi (jupith)

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling a bit more homey in your new surroundings. Maybe Brisbane is the place for you two....and remember....good things take time.
Keep me updated on the job hunt, maybe you just need a day of hitting the pavement and showing off you're great personality. Good luck with your interview Will.
Miss ya, Meag

Anonymous said...

Hey Guys!

Keep up the great posts. I read them every chance I get. Hopefully the job search goes well. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

well I am glad that Brisbane is going well for you two. I hope that Starbucks is a last resort for you Andrea, as you are far too qualified to be working there. Though I do understand as I am almost a graduate nurse and I am still working for old Howard Schultz.
Calgary is coming off a huge high after the Juno's (and so is Harvey) but it sounds like it will continue to get revved up as the summer brings more festivals and concerts in the summer. I am just trying to plug along as my vacation is approaching and I am becoming a bit more stressed with getting ready. I am behind in many areas as I am house-sitting and working too much. All I know is that I will miss Rocko terribly, how sad is that?! He is currently confused as I am starting to pack my suitcase tonight. Well, I will continue with my posts for the next couple of days, but you won't hear much from me until May after that. I miss you guys, and hope you are enjoying your time away from Calgary. mind your way. meow

Anonymous said...

ohhhhhh - well that's not fair! I didn't know I could make comments... you just wait. =0)