Tuesday, April 15, 2008

The Dave Special - #1

Ok. We have this friend, Dave, who is a bit of a car fanatic. Really, as fanaticism goes, he's up there. This is a man who has shelves and shelves of models cars; nice ones though. Dave had one request, and that was to take pictures of cars. Specifically cars you don't see at home. 
Andrea and I thought this one would be a good way to start off. This is a new Honda Odyssey. Same badging and trim as the van my parents own, just a bit smaller. Notice where Andrea's feet are. She's closer to the van than you think. At first glance you would think its just sitting funny, or that Andrea is much closer than the van is. Nope. 
 
What we call a mini-van in North America really doesn't exist here in Australia. Every thing here is small or smaller. Yet when you do want space to haul things around there are a lot more options than a truck, SUV, trailer, or van. These will all be covered in later episodes. 
So if your thinking that this looks more like a station wagon than a van, you're right. Station wagons are very popular here, and big vehicles like a "Yank-Tank" just are not seen.
 
- Yank-Tank is a term used to describe those SUV's and trucks that seem to take up two lanes and look like you'd need a ladder to get in and out.

1 comment:

Kevin Storey said...

Hey Andrea,
I'm sure you remember my fascination with cars... much to the disbelief of Wayne who figured it was something else. I'm looking forward to seeing more photos. Unlike Australia, the SUV is getting bigger and bigger here. It's nuts with how many SUVs are on the road. How do they afford it with gas at $1.80 a litre here.

Anyways, I have enjoyed reading up on your travels. Have a load of fun. Hey, you never know, but I may be heading down there next year. Depending on ticket prices and how much I actually save here, I'd like to go to New Zealand to visit my brother and sister-in-law. They're on the south island while he's studying for his doctorate.