Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Burritos Baby, Yah!

Oh boy did we find a Mexican restaurant last night! In fact, Will and I have been commenting lately on how we're going to have to publish our own "Eat Your Way Around Australia" travel guide! So, on to the Mexican restaurant story.

Yesterday while Will was finishing his last day temping at the underwear company, I ventured out with my friend Cassie (short for Cassius) to learn a bit more about with Brisbane has to offer. Cassie is originally from India and is a matter of weeks away from getting his permanent residency. He resides at the same guesthouse as us, and after being in Brisbane for nearly two years, he knows where all the deals are.
 
First stop, the video store. On Tuesdays the video stores in my area have 7-day rentals for $1. I got a membership and started off with a couple of seasons of Dr. Who (I'm addicted!). Right next door to one of the video stores are two Mexican restaurants. I figured I'd mention them to Will in case he wanted to go out for dinner. 
 
Next stop, Chinatown! Cassie showed me the best places to get fresh fruit, veggies, meat and Asian seasonings for my own cooking. It was like a small trip down memory lane for me as some products I hadn't seen since I was in Taiwan.
 
Finally our last stop was at Brisbane City Centre Library. For working transients like myself, if you go to the library, show identification and anything formal with your current address on it, you can get a free library card. Once I was in the system I loaded up on books and DVD's. Finally, I've got something to keep me occupied while being unemployed.
 
So when Will got home from work we decided to check out Dos Amigos. It kind of reminded both of us of El Sombrero on 17th (if you haven't eaten there - GO!). I have never seen portions so big before, and it was probably some of the most authentic Mexican I've tasted. Needless to say we both had burritos and we had to walk for an hour afterwards until we felt comfortable enough to go home. There are some seriously good restaurants here, and not bad for prices. I can't wait for our next food adventure!

No comments: