Wednesday, March 19, 2008

T-4 days

Ok, so most people have packed for a trip before. Its usually fairly straight forward. trying to pack for a year of unknown events and places presents a whole new set of problems. 
In an attempt to be as mobile as is possible with a year worth of stuff, I have given myself the goal to be able carry everything I am bringing. To clarify, I want to be able to carry everything in backpack style. I have a rolling backpack, a normal backpack, and a camera case I can strap to the rolling pack. This allows me to carry the larger rolling pack on my back with the smaller pack worn backward so its on my chest. 
 
This arrangement allows me to have extreme mobility. So those hikes on foot looking for a hostel or our next place to visit is relatively easy. Problem is in the regulations about bag weight set by the airlines. No check baggage can be more than 50 lbs. This seems like a lot, and for any normal trip it is. But when you are try to pack your entire life into basically one bag, 50 lbs adds up really fast.
 
As an example, my laptop and all its cables and power supplies adds up to almost 10 lbs. This may seem like a big bulky computer, but it is actually very small and light. It is the power supply and cables that bring it to the 8 lbs total. Then you add two pairs of shoes at 2-3 lbs each, and you start to run out of weight quickly. Remember that the pack along probably weighs 10 lbs. 
 
So that was today. I spent nearly all day arranging, re-arranging, removing items, moving items, weighing and re-weighing the pack. 
 
I think I got it. The real test will be if the airline scale is the same as mine. 
 
Maybe I will go to the airport tomorrow and see what it weighs?
 

No comments: