Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Day 3 - New place, Coffee, & and a bunch of Shells

Hello every one. Well day three was a big one. The end of day two brought a torrential downpour of rain. The streets were flooded with rain and emergency vehicles. It was cool. Lightning flashed about every minute for an hour. The morning of day 3 was very different, with not a cloud in the sky. After a brief mental breakdown at the hotel regarding packing (me, I lost it for a moment. I think the stress hit. I'm all good now.) we moved to a very quite hostel down near the Kings Cross train station. I recommend this hostel to any one who is NOT looking for a party. At $65 dollars a night the Travellers Rest is a bargin. Its quite and fairly clean. As a comparison, the Jolly Swagman is about a minute walk around the corner, runs $85 - $100 a night, and is more of a college dorm on a Friday night than the library feel of the Travellers Rest. No wireless though. So how are we doing this blog if there is no Internet, well there is a great Internet cafe just around the corner. Lots of computers and great price - very cheap -. Across the street from the hostel is a spectacular little French style cafe, Nest. If you are ever in this part of Sydney please go here for a coffee and meal. The service is spectacular and the better. The coffee is amazing - I even like it black -. Ok, so those who know me are fairly away of how much I don't like beets. Well, I found a version I do like. Nest makes this decadent Wagyu beef burger with chili-onion-jam sauce with rocket (greens) and a side of beet root crisps. I was in heaven. Below you can see just how small Nest is. With only 5 small tables outside and three inside, you need to be here before the lunch crowd. Believe me, there can be a line up. From Nest we went on to the Kings Cross train station. Notice the size. The Sydney trains are just smaller than that of Ontario's Go system. Each train consisting of 7 cars. Each car holds about 3 times that of Calgary's LRT, and during rush hour, a train came about every 5 minutes. Lets just say, this system moves more people and does it smoother than Toronto's. I think Calgary could learn a thing or two. Notice the small blue LCD screen. These screens not only tell you when the next train is coming - accurate to the minute - but tells you what stations it will be stopping at. Awesome! The rest of our day was spent wandering the grounds at the Sydney Opera House. I will let the photo's speak for them selves.

Our first creepy crawly. This guy was probably about 3 inches in diameter. This colourful little guy just wouldn't shut up. Beautiful to look at, but terrible to listen to. You'd think with a look like that it would sound more like a song than a magpie.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... okay Will...
Pics of bugs and birds??? Stop, drop and roll man... where are the car pics???
A-U-T-O-M-O-B-I-L-E-S

Cool pics otherwise :)

Nothing to report here other than I won a doughnut but it was a bitter win as I had ordered tea and they gave me coffee which I spilled over my shirt minutes before class. I had to teach a whole class smelling like Tim's.


Todays word is actually a Czech pop bands name...
Crzorg

I'm sure you've danced to their pop hit "I Like You Hot Sex Levi Cowgirl"

sing along if you know the lyrics...

"Hnací má Skoda Člen určitý hudba hits do téže míry dobytek Ona hodinky docela blízký eyes Má horký pohlaví Levi Cowgirl"

("Driving my Skoda The music hits like cattle They watch through closed eyes My hot sex Levi cowgirl")

Do I need to sign my name or do you know who this is??

Anonymous said...

will and andrea, i suppose i should start typing here instead of emails? no that would be too lengthy. just wanted to say how jealous i am of your trip. it looks very wonderful and relaxing. hopefully my trip will be equally as nice come april. just a quick side note, i just finished my last shift as a student. it is surreal. anyways, here's the almost a nurse, signing off. courtney meow

Anonymous said...

Ah, Beautiful birds that you want to club... how I know that well. :)