Friday, June 20, 2008

2008 Hamilton Cup

 
Well it's already been a hectic first week at Infront Communications. I have been out on Hamilton Island since Wednesday as our office is the organizer for the Hamilton Cup, one of the largest outrigger canoe regattas in the world. Teams from all over Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii, Tahiti, Singapore and Hong Kong are gathered here for most of the week.
Will and I have checked out of our gungy backpackers and have been living in 5 star heaven on the 16th floor of the Reef View hotel on the island. When they say Reef View they mean it as our balcony opens right out over the beach where the canoe races are being held. The main form of transportation around the resort is by golf car which has been a lot of fun for me! Super-charged golf carts with headlights, signal lights and driving with the steering wheel on the proper side (for me anyway) but on the wrong side of the road. Cool!
 
My days have typically started at 5 a.m. to be prepared for the first canoe races at 7 a.m. The day shuts down early because of the tides but we still put in hours until suppertime. Then we head down to the main street at the marina where they've blocked off the streets for picnic tables, a dance floor, a stage for live music and food tents. It definitely has a small town country fair feel to it.
 
Being in Airlie Beach/Cannonvale finally doing PR work makes me finally feel like I've found what I was looking for when I started this trip. Suddenly thinking of doing a couple of years up here doesn't sound so bad. But we will take it a day at a time.  
 
Enjoy some of the pictures that Will and I took today. No matter what time of day it is we love it here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So happy that the two of you are finding what you're looking for. This looks like such a beautiful spot. We hope that you are able to find some decent accomodations when you get back home. Take care