Saturday, May 31, 2008

On the move again

Many of you reading this already know that I spent three weeks in an area called the Whitsundays. The Whitsundays are a tropical playground for many Australians. It has some of the best sailing in the world, many would say the best but I disagree. I will say that the area is definitely one of the most memorable places I have seen.

A while back my friend Tara who is also on a working holiday here in OZ sent me a job ad. This ad was for a print shop and design studio called Graphic House. They are located in Cannonvale just outside Airlie Beach. Airlie Beach is the starting point for most people looking to spend time on the islands or go sailing. The main marina is located here and is a popular destination with backpackers. 
 
I decided that I should go up and check out this job, and visit with my friend. I had worked out a deal with the company that we would do a mutual trial period. So I headed up the the tropical destination like a moth driven to light to see what this place in the sun had to offer. 
 
After being in the area for a week just drinking and partying with Tara and her friends, I had already found that I was quite partial to the area. Week two was the start of my trial period with Graphic House. This was a trial for both Graphic House and myself. I wanted to see what they were all about, and they wanted to see what kind of person and designer I was. It didn't take long to realize that it was a good fit. 
 
After two weeks of working at Graphic House I had pretty much made up my mind that I wanted to work there. The only problem was Andrea. I couldn't drag her along if she didn't have work. It had been difficult enough finding work for her in Brisbane; actually it has been virtually impossible to find any work in her field. The gods were smiling down on us it seemed, because shortly after I started with Graphic House, she got a call from a public relations agency in Cannonvale. 
 
So Andrea hopped on a plane and met me in Airlie. After a brief interview the company realized Andrea's potential and offered her a position. This was great, but left us feeling like two small fish in a big ocean again. Up there we each now have full-time paying jobs with good companies, but nowhere to live and no transport. 
 
Taking into account all aspects of a move to the Whitsundays, and all that Brisbane has to offer, we made a decision to accept both our offers. This brings us to the present. We are both heading back to Brisbane to pack and clean up loose ends. In the mean time we are looking for furnished accommodation and some kind of vehicle. Sounds like another adventure.
 
Hope all reading are well. We will keep you posted about the move. 
 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Way to go guys! Finally, eh? Hopefully things will get a little easier now...

Anonymous said...

Congrats you two, I'm glad things are finally working out. Adios Starbucks and catering:)
Miss you sis,
Meag

Anonymous said...

Yay! I am glad to hear you both found jobs. I have been hoping good things for you two.

I am jealous that you found your jobs in the tropics (and by TARA!).
Say hi for me.
Virginia

The House That A-M Built said...

What fabulous news for you both! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your advice. I will definitely check out the porcelain option. Fancy helping out on an Aussie house design project while on your travels! Your blog is great reading. I am loving the stories. Best Wishes to both you and Andrea, A-M xx