Saturday, July 19, 2008

Welcome to Graphic House

Admittedly I have been extremely delinquent in writing blogs since we moved to the Whitsunday's. I am sorry. It seems that once I had a steady life, there just wasn't much to say.

I guess the daily routine of getting up, going to work, working, going home, eating, and going to bed just isn't exciting. Sorry. I will try and be entertaining, since this is why you all keep me around, for the entertainment. Right?
 
Anyways. 
 
Graphic House is a small printing company in Cannonvale that has been around for a long time. How long? I don't know. Graphic House does the majority of the printing in the area, and some jobs for clients as far south as Brisbane. Given the volume of work that goes through here, you would think it would have a staff compliment of at least 20 or more. Yet Graphic House only employs eight people. Only four people run the print side of things, and there are three full time people up front - me included.
 
The design side of Graphic House is very new, and has only existed for about a year. The owners hope to expand the design business to four people in the next year or two. Right now there are only two, Steve and myself. This means that some days we get extremely busy. I have to manage both design jobs and pre-press work. Steve looks after print design and the development of the new website.
 
Graphic House is a fun place to work. The staff is light hearted, the office is comfortable, and the hours are flexible. Monday mornings the owner lights up the BBQ and makes bacon and egg sandwiches for breakfast. Mmm... bacon ... mmm :P . The work life balance is very good here, but then what would be the point of stressing over everything and working 10 hour days 7 days a week, when you live in a tropical paradise? I don't know. Still thinking of bacon. 
 
The photos below are a quick tour of the front part of Graphic House. Not much point to show the back, its just paper and printers.  Yes, it’s basically a gigantic shed, a shed with carpet and a kitchen. mmm... bacon...
 
  The front desk.
 
The front lounge
  Up stairs. Looks a bit empty, but its comfortable. It will eventually have more decorations and more desks.  My desk is the one on the left. I get the big monitor. Which I just realized is hiding behind my chair.
  The drums. What to say? Just part of the quirkiness. 
Well, that's a brief tour of Graphic House. Part house, part shed, part office, lots of fun.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok. I'll read more later.

Anonymous said...

what does no one work there?